Well, finally settled in for my first full week here. This was intended to be one of my first posts but I get sidetracked easily. I agonized over the name but after realizing that my first clinical was off of Rt. 66 in good ol' Columbia, CT and my FINAL (woo!) clinical was off historic Rt. 66 it was only appropriate. As for the kicks...I'll do my best while I am here to make an adventure of it. Some may say that Gallup is in the middle of nowhere (I might agree with you) but after flying across the country and
- Gallup is named after a man who gave out the cash in exchange for coal in the 1880's.
- Known as the Indian Capital of the World and also unfortunately as the Drunk Driving Capital of the World :(
- Approximately 100 trains pass through town each day (mostly Santa Fe line)
- Used to be a famous Hollywood Location for Western Films, El Rancho Hotel is still here and the rooms are named after the stars that stayed in them.
- Population: Approximately 21,000 people but on weekends can be upwards of 100,000 because people head to town to do their shopping.
- American Indian alone - 8,748 (40.4%)
- Hispanic - 6,864 (31.7%)
- White alone - 4,783 (22.1%)
- Two or more races - 603 (2.8%)
- Asian alone - 410 (1.9%)
- Black alone - 223 (1.0%)
- Other race alone - 41 (0.2%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 6 (0.03%)
I have to admit that everyday as I drive on Rt. 66, I keep an eye out for Mater and Lightening McQueen because I swear Gallup is the real Radiator Springs. It's so funny to watch all the semi's and cars fly by on I-40 bypassing this small town.
Yesterday I ventured to the Flea Market where I may or may not have made some purchases and as much as I would love to share them with you, I'm doing my Christmas shopping! As much as I was tempted to buy a gorgeous turquoise and silver belt for $1700, I did not. It certainly doesn't help that its one of my favorite colors and in ALL the Jewelry out here. I also stopped by the mall where Gallup was holding it's first-ever Chili Fest and local restaurants shared their salsas, green chili and red chili recipes. After my 3rd taste my taste buds were pretty numb. They put Green Chili's on EVERYTHING here!
Finally, I finished my Saturday just going for a drive... Sunday brings church, cooking for the week, gym and perhaps some schoolwork (well if I post that on here maybe it will keep me more accountable). Can you believe tomorrow is October? Holy Smokes...7 more weeks. Happy October!
| Tim- Do you think I can get the truck up on top there for a picture?! |



No comments:
Post a Comment