Written Sunday, September 16, 2012...
It
is with a heavy heart that I write today’s blog post. I am currently sitting in the Albuquerque Airport and trying
to get some organized thoughts down, excuse me if they are all over the place.
This past Friday the world lost an amazing woman and heaven gained another
angel. Dan’s mom passed away from our world to heaven after a long battle with
ALS. To Dan, Erin, and Ben she was
a loving mother. To her husband, a loving wife. To many a great teacher,
enriching young lives at St. Mary’s school. Yet to others a great friend. To
me, I can’t put just one word to it, just to say that to me she was
special. Although we never had a typical
conversation, I got to know her in my own special way. She was always very
welcoming to me and I really enjoyed the 10 weeks I got to live with her and
her family this summer during my clinical at Crossroads. We got more quality
time those ten weeks than we did in the past 3 years. I struggled sometimes
keeping my role as girlfriend in their house and not as a PT. But I was
privileged to rub her ankles or stretch her out and I really valued that time.
We could carry on in complete silence, while a “Housewives” show was on, or
“Say Yes to the Dress” much to Dan’s dismay. Sometimes we would talk, me asking
a Yes or No question, answered with a smile most of the time. The first time I
had this quality time with her was on Mother’s Day a few years ago. Dan and I
had been in NY and saw my mom and drove back to CT to have dinner with their
family. She had asked if I could rub her ankles and it was the first time I had
physical contact with her. It may sound strange but it was really in this
moment that I realized how strong the power of touch was. I actually had a hard
time keeping it together while I stretched her out, as I felt so privileged
that she trusted me.
Being
2000 miles from loved ones has not been easy. Although I have only been out
here a week, it feels like 6 months when all you want to do is hold the one you
love. That being said, people who were complete strangers to me 6 days ago have
really been very friendly during this time. Love
the ones you are with for you never know when they might not be here with us,
cherish the time you have with friends and family.
God saw she was getting tired
And a cure was not to be.
So He put His arms around her
And whispered, "Come with me."
With tearful eyes we watched her suffer
And saw her fade away
Although we loved her dearly,
We could not make her stay.
A golden heart stopped beating,
Hard working hands to rest.
God broke our hearts to prove to us
He only takes the best.
-Author Unknown
No comments:
Post a Comment